Birth Injury in Cleveland, Ohio: 6 Mistakes Pain Patients Make During Pregnancy
A birth injury in Cleveland, Ohio related to pain medications prescribed to a pregnant woman may be grounds for medical negligence, particularly if the doctor did not inform the patient of the risks. Trusting medical professionals implicitly is just one of the mistakes pain patients make as they try to relieve themselves from the physical suffering they are experiencing during pregnancy.
Common Mistakes Pain Patients Make
The following are 6 mistakes that patients make when searching for pain relief during their pregnancy:
- Not participating in their own care and trusting medical professionals implicitly – It is crucial that you understand your condition and its prognosis. Doctors are human and can make mistakes. Conducting your own research, seeking second or third opinions, and incorporating any recommendations to guide you to better health are steps in the right direction.
- Not consulting with a physician trained in pain management – Most general practitioners receive only minimal training in pain management. Pain suffers should find a doctor registered with the American Board of Pain Medicine.
- Not preparing for an appointment – It is important to tell the doctor about any physical issues and your pain level. Write down any questions you may have so you do not forget to ask them. Prioritize them to ensure your most important questions are addressed in case time runs short.
- Not telling the truth – Doctors will be unable to treat you appropriately if they do not have all the information they need regarding your pain condition, lifestyle, medication intake, and any other factors.
- Not keeping medical records – Pain patients should create their own medical file at home to help keep track of their medical history. This information may be invaluable to a new doctor or a specialist.
- Not cooperating – Your reputation with a former doctor may be passed on to other medical professionals seeking information on your medical history. Poor relationships may make seeking future medical care difficult.
Seeking Help if You are the Victim of Medical Negligence
The mistakes that pregnant patients make when they are in pain are not an excuse for medical negligence or malpractice, including birth injury. If a medical professional’s negligence causes your baby’s birth injury in Cleveland, Ohio, you have every right to hold him or her accountable.
The Becker Law Firm has been protecting Ohio residents from medical malpractice and negligence for years, including victims of birth injury. Talk with an attorney to find out about your rights to fair compensation. Call (440) 252-4399 today.