The Becker Law Firm is proud to show our support for National Birth Defects Prevention Month!
This nationwide wide effort takes place throughout January and leverages the support of leading organizations and advocacy groups who work to raise awareness about birth defects, their impact on families, and how parents and providers can promote healthy pregnancies.
Best for You. Best for Baby.
While not all birth defects are preventable, families and physicians can increase the chances for a healthy baby by appropriately managing conditions and adopting healthy behaviors before and during pregnancy.
As part of this year’s Birth Defects Prevention Month theme – “Best for You. Best for Baby” – the National Birth Defects Prevention Network has developed a number of resources to help parents take the right steps in fostering a healthy pregnancy. Some of these include:
- Tips for avoiding infections during pregnancy.
- Information about the importance of folic acid before and during pregnancy.
- Tips for dads to help prevent birth defects.
In addition to an abundance of helpful information and tips, the NBDPN also encourages all pregnant women and women who may become pregnant to make a PACT to:
- Plan ahead
- Strive to improve your health prior to pregnancy and reach a healthy weight.
- Take at least 400 micrograms of folic acid every day.
- Avoid harmful substances
- Abstain from drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Be mindful of potentially harmful exposures at work and home.
- Choose a healthy lifestyle
- Eat a balanced diet that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and lean proteins.
- Prioritize being physically active.
- Get pre-existing medical conditions under control (i.e. diabetes, thyroid conditions).
- Talk to a health care provider
- Get a comprehensive medical checkup from your provider.
- Discuss all medications, prescription and OTC, with your doctor.
- Discuss your family medical history.
The NBDN and the U.S. CDC have many additional resources available to help you learn more about Birth Defects Prevention Month and tips for a healthy pregnancy.
The Becker Law Firm Fights for Children and Families
The Becker Law Firm is devoted to fighting for babies, mothers, and families who suffer preventable harm due to the negligence of others. Over the years, we have recovered millions in compensation for victims of birth injuries, medical malpractice, and injuries caused by dangerous products and medications. We know the importance of prioritizing health and safety throughout pregnancy, and the need for providers to meet their duty of care when treating pregnant women.
Our legal team encourages you to spread the word about Birth Defects Prevention Month this January. As always, our Cleveland personal injury attorneys are available to speak with anyone who has questions about preventable injuries and their legal rights.