Skip to Content

Government Benefits For Children With Disabilities


Children with serious birth injuries may qualify for many important governmental benefits, particularly medical care through Medicare or Medical Assistance and payments through Social Security Disability.

Your Ohio birth injury lawyers can consult with your trial experts and other professionals, including your life care planner, economist and special needs trust coordinator, to ensure that your child remains eligible for many important and free governmental services, That way, the bulk of the money received in a medical malpractice lawsuit can be used services, therapies, devices, and medical care that go beyond your child’s basic needs.

Contact the Ohio birth injury lawyers at The Becker Law Firm to learn. Call (440) 252-4399 or contact us online for a free consultation.


Medicare typically covers people 65 and older but in some cases, it can apply to children. Children with Lou Gehrig’s disease (also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS), and children with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) are eligible for Medicare benefits.

Adults with disabilities may also be eligible if they are dependent on Medicare beneficiaries and if the permanent and severe disability developed before age 22.

Medical Assistance (Medicaid)

Medicaid is governmental assistance that is paid for by the federal government and the state. It is run by the individual states, so each program is unique. In most states, children who qualify for SSI benefits can qualify for Medicaid.

Under Medicaid, children may be entitled to hospital and medical services, including long-term care services, medication, hearing aids, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy.

Social Security

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Social Security has a program called Supplemental Security Income (SSI) which provides monthly payments to children under age 18 who qualify as disabled and who meet income requirements. In order to meet Social Security’s rules about disability, a child (1) cannot work and earn more than $1,010 (for 2012); (2) must have a mental or physical condition that causes “marked and severe functional limitations”; and (3) the child’s condition must have been disabling or be expected to be disabling for at least 12 months.

After applying for SSI, Social Security typically takes three to five months to determine if the child is disabled. Importantly, some children are eligible for immediate benefits while a decision is made.

Disabilities that qualify include:

  • Total blindness or deafness
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Down syndrome
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Low birth weight (under 2 lbs., 10 oz.)
  • Some severe intellectual disorders (children over age 7)

If Social Security denies the application, the parents are not required to return the initial payments made.

Adults can also be entitled to receive SSI payments, though there are different criteria (including family income, which is not considered for adults). To apply for SSI, contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Website.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Unlike SSI, which is based on income, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is based on work history. Children with disabilities may qualify for benefits under a family member’s work record if the family member receives SSDI.

Adult children with disabilities can also qualify for SSDI, even without any work history. They may qualify for monthly payments based on a parent’s Social Security earnings (called dependents’ benefits).

Contact The Becker Law Firm

If your child was injured following a difficult labor or delivery, contact our medical malpractice lawyers in Ohio. We can help you to determine if your child qualifies for a medical malpractice lawsuit, and we can give you resources to help find governmental benefits for your child.

We can be reached online or by phone at (440) 252-4399. Set up your free, no-obligation consultation today.

  • The Inner Circle of Advocates
  • Best Law Firms
  • NBTA - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • NBTA
  • AV Preeminent
  • International Society of Barristers
  • American Association for Justice
  • CATA

    Fill out The Form or Give Us a Call at (440) 252-4399 to Request Your Free Case Evaluation

    Call Us Today (440) 252-4399
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy