Skip to Content

Caring for Your Disabled Child through the Years


Caring for a disabled child through the years can be very challenging to say the least. Adding to the stress may be the fact that your child’s disability was preventable.

If your child was injured as a result of medical negligence, you may be entitled to damages related to the care of your disabled child. A birth trauma attorney can help determine what types of damages you may be entitled to seek through an birth injury claim.

Initial Costs in Caring for a Disabled Child

The initial costs in caring for a disabled child are usually related to the time spent in labor and delivery, along with any treatment or hospitalization that may be required immediately after birth.

Not only may you be facing the typical costs of delivering a baby, but there may be additional expenses related to your child’s injuries such as care in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Additionally, it may be necessary to seek a second opinion on your child’s injuries, which can be costly. Any initial costs related to medical negligence may be recoverable through a successful birth injury claim.

Long-Term Costs in Caring for a Disabled Child

There may also be long-term costs in caring for a disabled child. These may also be recoverable through a birth injury claim.

Some of the additional expenses you may be entitled to receive for your disabled child include:

  • pediatric rehabilitation specialists;
  • vocational rehabilitation counselors;
  • therapy (physical, occupational, speech);
  • medical equipment (walker, wheelchair);
  • in-home nursing care;
  • life care planners;
  • adaptations in the home; and
  • specialized schooling.

You will also need to consider your child’s future as an adult. When medical negligence causes your child to suffer from a serious condition such as cerebral palsy or severe brain damage, lifetime care may be required.

A disabled child who grows up to need full-time care may be able to receive compensation for that as well.

There may also be compensation for permanent disability or disfigurement, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.

With all of the possible consequences of caring for a disabled child, you have the right to seek the help of a birth trauma attorney. An attorney will explain what your legal rights are and the types of damages you may be entitled to recover, which can help in the care of your disabled child.

Share To: