Preventable injuries sustained before, during, or after labor and delivery can come with life-altering consequences. At The Becker Law Firm, our legal team has built a reputation on handling complex medical negligence cases involving birth-related injuries and is available to help clients across Elyria, Lorain County, and Ohio when they need to take legal action.
While our laws provide pathways through which victims can seek compensation for losses caused by negligence, the process of doing so is not easy. Health care providers and insurance companies representing them have a lot on the line and fight aggressively to deny or dispute liability.
If you have a potential birth injury claim, working with the right attorneys can make the difference in your fight for your justice – not only when it comes to creating a level playing field with defendants that put profits over people but also to positioning your claim to pursue the maximum compensation possible.
The Becker Law Firm: Proven Litigators.
The Becker Law Firm was founded in 1980 by Attorney Michael F. Becker, a member of the Inner Circle of Advocates (an elite invite-only group comprised of the nation’s top 100 trial attorneys) who has successfully represented birth injury victims in cases across the country, including Ohio.
Today, Partners Becker and Romney Cullers, both of whom are among just 3% of the nation’s lawyers to hold Certifications in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA), lead a team comprised of talented, award-winning attorneys – two of whom are also Registered Nurses who draw from their medical insight when fighting for victims.
For over 40 years, clients, communities, and colleagues have turned to our team with some of the most difficult cases. The reasons are clear:
- We’ve recovered over $500 million in compensation for our clients, and have successfully represented children across the nation, from Hawaii to Maine.
- Our nationally recognized birth injury attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience.
- Our legal team includes attorneys who are Registered Nurses with medical expertise.
- We have recovered multiple 8-figure settlements for birth injury plaintiffs.
- We’ve secured verdicts for birth trauma plaintiffs across Ohio, including hundreds of millions in cases turned down by other lawyers.
We focus on fighting for the injured and excel in birth injury and medical negligence claims.
Want to learn more about our team, or discuss a potential case? Contact us at (440) 252-4399 to request a free and confidential case evaluation with our birth injury attorneys in Elyria, OH.
Some of Our Recent Birth Injury Case Results
- $25.5 million judgment, one of the largest malpractice verdicts in Ohio history, for a baby who suffered oxygen deprivation / brain injury when a hospital failed to follow emergency protocol.
- $14.5 million settlement for a baby who suffered a permanent brain injury and cerebral palsy when doctors failed to properly manage a preterm birth and perform a timely C-section.
- $8.7 million recovery for a baby who suffered brain damage and permanent impairment after medical staff failed to manage preeclampsia and eclampsia that led to placental abruption.
- $4 million settlement over obstetrical caregivers who failed to provide intra-partum / post-partum antibiotics to a newborn who developed meningitis after her mother began labor with a fever. The baby was left with cerebral palsy and developmental delays.
- $3.62 million settlement for a baby who suffered permanent brain damage and cerebral palsy when medical staff failed to respond to fetal distress and perform a timely C-section, leading to oxygen deprivation during labor.
Do I Have a Birth Injury Case?
That depends. Our legal team at The Becker Law Firm always reminds potential clients that birth injury lawsuits are fact-specific claims; the unique circumstances surrounding your pregnancy, labor, delivery, and resulting injuries must be reviewed to make any determination about the merits of your case. While it can’t be said whether anyone has a case without careful review and investigation, there are some general factors that must be present in all birth injury lawsuits, including:
- The existence of a “duty of care” owed by treating medical providers to the patient;
- A provider’s failure to meet their legal duty; in other words, their failure to provide treatment that conforms with the accepted standards of their profession, and which a reasonably skilled medical professional would be expected to provide in the same or similar circumstances.
- Proof that a breach of duty was more likely than not the cause of injury; meaning, the injuries did not arise from some other non-negligent cause; and
- Victims and families suffered damages as a result.
Establishing fault and liability in birth injury cases can be a considerable task, especially when there are technical medical issues involved, dispute from the defense, and the need for medical expert testimony.
At The Becker Law Firm, we leverage our attorneys’ experience – including their decades of trial experience and several of our attorneys’ medical backgrounds – to effectively investigate and build claims. We also work closely with relevant medical experts to help illustrate how providers failed to meet an established standard of care and to provide prognoses about the long-term repercussions victims and families will have to face in their futures.
Compensation in Birth Injury Cases
Should victims prevail in their claims, they’re entitled to a financial recovery of their damages. This may include compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses;
- Costs associated with long-term care, permanent disabilities, and lifelong limitations;
- Physical pain and suffering endured by the baby and / or mother;
- Emotional pain and suffering; and
- Lost income and lost future wages.
The Becker Law Firm: Committed to Fighting on Behalf of Families
Our birth injury attorneys proudly serve victims throughout Elyria and the surrounding areas of Ohio. We also accept complex cases and attorney referrals for birth injury and medical negligence matters nationwide. To request a free and confidential consultation regarding a potential case, please contact us online or call (440) 252-4399.