Victims of medical malpractice have a right to recover compensation for their losses. That’s true whether medical mistakes are committed by physicians, hospitals, or nurses.
If you or someone you love were harmed because of a nursing error, The Becker Law Firm can help explore your options for a financial recovery. We are one of the region’s most respected medical malpractice and serious injury law firms and we have the experience to help you fight for the maximum compensation possible.
Why Choose The Becker Law Firm?
- Over $600 million recovered for clients
- More than 100 years of combined experience
- Record-setting results in medical malpractice and birth injury cases
- Led by Certified Civil Trial Specialists (Michael F. Becker, Romney Cullers)
- Attorneys who are Registered Nurses with medical expertise
What is Nursing Malpractice?
Nurses are trained and licensed health care professionals who are subject to a standard of care. This means they’re expected to use the level of skill, knowledge, and care to treat patients that other reasonably careful nurses would use in similar circumstances.
Like doctors and other medical providers, nurses can be held liable for injuries that result from failures to meet the standard of care. What constitutes “substandard care” depends on the circumstances surrounding a patient and their treatment, but generally involves:
- A provider-patient relationship
- A failure to meet the standard of care
- Substandard care as the likely cause of injury
- Patient harm and losses
Evaluating whether malpractice was committed by nurses, other treating medical staff, and the hospital or facility which employed them is a complex task that demands the attention of skilled attorneys. Our team at The Becker Law Firm can evaluate your case and discuss your options for a financial recovery.
Examples of Nursing Malpractice
There are many ways nurses can deviate from the standard of care and injure patients. Examples of nursing errors that may constitute malpractice include:
- Failures to monitor mothers or fetus during birth
- Failures to monitor and assess patient condition
- Medication errors
- Injuring patients with medical equipment
- Postoperative care errors
- Documentation or reporting errors
- Failures to notify physicians of changes in a patient’s condition
- Failures to recognize significant symptoms
- Not following facility protocol
- Using equipment or performing procedures without training
- Delays in providing treatment
- Nursing home negligence
While nursing errors occur because of an individual’s negligence, they may also result from a series of failures involving other medical staff or the facilities which oversee employees and bear responsibility for injuries they cause. Upon investigation of your matter, our team help identify all possible defendants against whom your claim can be brought.
Compensation for Victims of Nursing Errors
Successful nursing malpractice actions help victims and families recover needed compensation for their losses. Recoverable damages in nursing malpractice claims can include:
- Hospital and medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost income and lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional suffering experienced by loved ones
In Ohio, victims of medical malpractice face legal hurdles that plaintiffs in other types of personal injury actions don’t. This includes not only the powerful and highly resistant insurance carriers that defend against claims, but also procedural hurdles like the requirement that medical malpractice filings be accompanied by an Affidavit of Merit. An Affidavit of Merit must be endorsed by an expert witness who declares under oath that they have:
- Reviewed all medical records
- Are familiar with the applicable standard of care
- Believe the standard of care was violated
- Believe that substandard care resulted in the plaintiffs’ injury
At The Becker Law Firm, we consult with a network of skilled and qualified medical experts to assist us in evaluating claims, compiling evidence against defendants, and meeting the requirements of filing.
We also rely on attorneys and staff who are licensed nurses (two Registered Nurses and a Critical Care Nurse) and who understand both the medical and legal standards of these cases. Combined with the experience of our award-winning Partners Michael F. Becker and Romney Cullers, this allows us to assess the merits of potential claims and pursue full and fair recoveries for our clients.
Examples of Our Results
The Becker Law Firm has won millions for victims of medical negligence and has litigated successfully against nurses, physicians, hospitals, and powerful insurance companies. Some examples of our results:
- $25.5 million verdict over failures to follow protocol for an obstetrical emergency that led to birth injury. One of the largest medical malpractice verdicts in Ohio history.
- $17.3 million recovery for eclamptic patient and child who suffered brain injury.
- $8 million recovery over failure to give prophylactic antibiotics resulting in infant brain damage.
- $6.5 million for family of newborn who suffered permanent brain damage resulting in cerebral palsy and developmental delays after obstetrical nurse mismanaged induction.
- $3.625 million settlement for newborn who suffered brain damage when obstetrician and nurse managing labor failed to properly respond to fetal distress and delayed emergency C-section.
- $3.5 million recovery against community hospital over obstetrical nurses’ failure to appreciate fetal distress resulting in severe brain damage in newborn.
- $2.9 million settlement for young boy who suffered serious brain injury at birth after nurses delayed care for mother who suffered a placental abruption while pregnant.
FREE Case Review from a Cleveland Nurse Malpractice Attorney
The Becker Law Firm is comprised of top-rated trial lawyers who practice throughout Ohio and beyond. With a record that includes some of the state’s largest malpractice recoveries and millions in verdicts and settlements for victims injured by medical providers, we’re uniquely equipped to take on even the toughest nursing error claims.
If you have questions about your rights and whether you have a viable medical malpractice case, please call (440) 252-4399 or contact us online. Our Cleveland nursing error attorneys offer FREE and confidential consultations, charge nothing up front, and collect a fee only if we win.